Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hardwicke St.

I think God is really teaching me this year on how to love those who are in a sense 'displaced.' People who seem like outsiders and outcasts. I have been praying to God for more love. For more love for myself and especially more love to others. I think I can get to caught up with the world's opinion of the "lovable" that I forget who Jesus really loved. I spend so much time wanting to fit in with that crowd that I lose sight of amazing people right in front of me. So, that's why I've been asking for more love.

On Wednesdays we have been going to Hardwicke St. Community Centre. Hardwicke St. is just a collection of apartment buildings built to make a square. It's probably the closest thing to the projects that we have in Dublin. In the middle is a playground and a court for basketball, soccer, rugby, etc... And then you have the community centre. In here you will find 10 up-to-date computers and in another room 2 big screen tvs with wii and xbox, a pool table, foosball, and table tennis. Every day they open the doors from 3-5. They divide the kids into younger and older. The two groups spend an hour in one room and the other hour in the other room.

So our job is coming there ever Wednesday, and more if we can manage it, and to hang out with the kids and to 'keep and eye on them' I was so scared my first Wednesday. These are Dubliner kids and they are COMPLETELY different than American kids. I don't know what it is, but they seem to be more street smart than American kids. But maybe all kids who grow up in a major city are like that.

But these kids are amazing. I didn't have to initiate conversation at all. They wanted someone to play with them and hang out with them. They love trying to say "y'all" like we do! The 2 hours fly by! In about 2 weeks we are starting up a 3 weeks programme for them. During these weeks we are going to have various workshops from art (go Leah!), dj, dance, possibly juggling, and music. It's going to be amazing. I'm really excited about this opportunity we have to LOVE on these kids and give them something that they normally wouldn't get to experience!

1 comment:

  1. I assume you are in charge of the dj/dance portion. ;) Thanks for the updates! I love them...and you!

    ReplyDelete